Saturday, May 31, 2014

It was bound to happen. . .

Since the day he started moving, it was only a matter of time. 

Thursday night turned out to be an eventful one . . . 

We'd been babysitting a friend's little boy and when he finally dozed off, I threw my guys in the tub. After bath, what was supposed to be an early night turned into anything but. 

I'd sent the big into their room (per usual) while I got E dressed for bed. Most nights they will come out by the time I'm done, fully dressed and ready for bed.  I heard them playing in their room but nothing out of the ordinary, so when I heard the bang I did the 'hold my breath and wait for the scream' that I do at least once a day. And oh, it didn't disappoint. G showed up behind me (to which, logically, I assumed was a sign of guilt) but said he didn't do it. Hudson came in (I still hadn't turned around) and said he "hit it".  Hit what??!  Well, I'm assuming the corner of the footboard, but he really has no idea. Why you might ask? Well, because he was running with the towel over his face. Of corse he was. 

When I finally did turn around, there was no towel (or clothes), a hand over his left eye, and blood.  Lots of blood. 

Half of my first thought as I whisked him into the bathroom (leaving E on the changing table . . . Mom of the year, here) was crap! I just shampooed these carpets last week. Haha. 

As soon as I wiped it off and could actually it I knew it needed to be stitched. No homemade butterfly bandages were going to hold that sucker together. 

Luckily about 4 minutes later - as I'm trying to figure out who to call to stay with my guys (since Rich was still in DC) plus our snoozing guest -the phone rang and his mom was on the way. I told her what had happened and asked if as could stay, so we literally passed in the doorway, and off we went. 

I stopped up at urgent care first to see if they'd even do stitches, and other than having I wait over an hour for the doctor to come into the room (there was only one doctor and they were quite busy) we had a great experience. The nurse wrapped him up like 'the karate kid' while he cleaned it and then we waited. We played on my phone until it was all but dead, we colored (paper and our face . . . Note the blue dots in the last picture), wrote our name, played with stickers, and peeled all of the paper off of the crayons. 

When she finally came in, concurred that even if they had dura-bond (the glue) it wouldn't have mattered, and stitched him up. 

He was a total champ! Cried for the numbing shot (I would've too!!) but laid still while she stitched him up, and he was the proud recipient of 3 shiny, new stitches. 

He's been really good about keeping it covered, and has only given me a fuss when I was trying to take the double bandage off of it after their t-ball game yesterday. We'll go back Wednesday to see if they're ready to come out. And hopefully it'll be a long, LONG time before we need more!  

No comments:

Post a Comment